Friday, October 5, 2007

The Boot


So this is a strange way to begin a blog, especially one that is intended for the use of my macroeconomics classes. But today I was lucky enough to learn that my broken ankle is mild enough that I only need to wear one of those big boots, and I can ditch the crutches. This will save my shoulders and back a lot of wear and tear.

To provide some enlightenment, I have an avulsion fracture on my ankle. "An avulsion fracture is an injury to the bone in a place where a tendon or ligament attaches to the bone. When an avulsion fracture occurs, the tendon or ligament pulls off a piece of the bone." Sounds nasty, doesn't it?

To be more specific, my anterior talofibular ligament tore away from my fibula, creating a little fracture. There's a neat picture to the left. It sounds like I'll be in the boot for another few weeks, and then we'll reassess. But the boot means I can a) shower normally and b) use stairs like a normal person, so things are looking up.

No comments: